When is the last time you inspected the condition of your helmet? If you can’t remember, it’s probably been too long. April is “Check Your Helmet Month”. For riders and passengers who want the best protection while they ride, this is a great time to evaluate their helmets. A helmet can appear to be shiny and new, but if it’s 3-5 years old (or older) or has suffered even a single impact, it’s ready for retirement.
If you want to perform the inspection yourself, here are some helpful Helmet Industry guidelines to help you along the way.
- Helmet manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet every 3 to 5 years, depending on use, to ensure optimal helmet performance.
- Over time, UV rays, internal adhesive and component aging can deteriorate a helmet’s protective qualities.
- Exposure to gasoline, insect repellent, cleaning fluids, exhaust fumes and excessive heat can degrade helmet materials.
- If a helmet has been dropped or suffered an impact, it should be replaced immediately.
- A helmet is designed for only one impact, even a small one. An impact may fracture its outer shell as well as compress the inner liner, neither of which may be visible.
K and G Cycles (www.kandgcycles.com) Helmet Department offers a stylish selection of DOT approved helmets that are designed to protect your valuable assets while maintaining your bad-biker image. A broad range of styles, prices and materials for men and women are available now at www.kandgcycles.com/Motorcycle-Helmets. We offer a wide variety of helmets from today’s best manufacturers so we can bring you the very latest in helmet technology.
- Lightweight Fiberglass/Aramid/Carbon Fiber materials
- Poly Carbonate Shell
- Moisture Wicking and Anti-microbial inner linings
- Removable and Washable pads
- Improved ventilation systems
- Integrated tinted sun shields that reduce UV rays up to 95%
- One touch easy operation to deploy or retract sun shield
If your helmet is in need of replacement, contact the Crew at K and G Cycles (www.kandgcycles.com). We can help you select a helmet that has the features you want, at a price you are comfortable with. Ride safe, it’s a jungle out there.