Do you ever wonder why you see so many different windshields on motorcycles? Some change them to get a different look on the bike. Others change them depending on their height so they can be more protected or end up having more wind in their face. Regardless of your choice, the wind STILL gets you, unless you have installed a Klock Werks “Flare” windshield, available from K and G Cycles (www.kandgcycles.com). You might ask, “What does their windshield do that the others don’t?” When the “Flare” was developed, its main goal was to provide increased stability at higher speeds, even racing at Bonneville. This was able due to the design re-directing the air over the outer edge (hips as Klock Werks calls them) providing increased downward pressure to the front of the motorcycle, increasing the stability at speed. The rolled top (flip by Klock Werks dictionary) of the “Flare” is designed to flip the air up, calming the flow, allowing smooth, clean air for the rider.
Some things you might not know about the “Flare” windshield from Klock Werks
- Fits 1996-2012 FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHX, FLHTK, and FL Trike Models, and have pre-drilled mounting holes making installation easy while using the stock hardware. There are also some 6.5” versions available for older models.
- Due to the design, it is recommended proper windshield height be at a level that allows you to see over the top, rather than looking through it.
- 3.5″ height is designed for riders accustomed to a shorter windscreen.
- 6.5″ height was the first style created for batwing style fairings, and works great for the average height rider. This windshield does not accept 3 pouch windshield bags, or GPS units.
- 8.5″ height blends the sporty style of the 6.5″ with taller touring height of the 11.5″. This size seems to be better for taller riders, and works with 3 pouch windshield bags or a GPS
- 11.5″ is the tallest model. Comparable height to a stock FLH windshield, offering full coverage for riders that prefer that, yet maintains the down force and features of the FLARE.
- All of Klock Werks Flare Windshields are measured from the center bolt hole to the start of the flip on the top of the windshield, setting a standard for measurement.
- When deciding which FLARE will work for you, remember, a shorter FLARE will outperform a stock windshield that is even 2″ taller because of its design and the way it routes the air.
- Lexan® Polycarbonate with FMR hard coating is used in the creation of these custom-molded designs to provide unparalleled durability.
- FLARES have been wind tunnel designed and tested. The “hips” provide added down force while the “flip” directs air over the rider to virtually eliminate the swirl of air found in front of the rider common with standard windshields.
- Keep in mind when selecting a FLARE windshield, the black, chrome, and black chrome windshields are completely opaque, you cannot see through them. This could potentially be a hazard.
- Clean-up is simple, soap and water. If you want, you can follow up with polish such as Novus or Plexus. Do Not use petroleum based or ammonia based cleaners including rain sheeting products!
- Saving the best for last, Klock Werks windshields are made in the U.S.A. – Mitchell, South Dakota.
These are some of the customer testimonials taken directly from Klock Werks website regarding the “FLARE” windshield:
- From Johnie (Rock Hill, SC) “I just had the 8.5 inch Flare installed on my 2011 Ultra Classic and man was I blown away what difference it made. It is awesome. I’m going to tell all my friends that ride to invest in one of these windshields. Thanks for the great product you designed.”
- From Jim Sehnert – The 11.5″ Klock Werks Flare Windshield worked just great. I installed it in Utah, and used it through the entire trip of 22,000 miles. 8,400 miles of it during the HOKA HEY Challenge. It did a terrific job of keeping stones and bugs above me. It gave me the protection from the rain also that I needed. All kinds of weather was experienced during this run. The height was just right to allow me to see through it or over it as needed. Thanks again for your support.
Klock Werks FLARES, available at K and G Cycles (www.kandgcycles.com), not only fit the FL fairing bikes from Harley, they are available for the entire line up, as well as Victory motorcycles. So pick one up today and feel the difference.