After building special bikes for the Police and Security Forces, Zero Motorcycles announces their first machine for the military, dubbed the MMX. The Zero MMX has been developed as exclusive machine for the use in the US Special Operations Forces. Two of the greatest advantages of an electric motorcycle in a combat scenario are the minimal thermal signature and the low noise levels, adding to the stealth factor. Given the MX base model, the Zero MMX can easily cover vast areas of unwelcoming terrain, being one of the best transportation methods in a lot of situations.
The new bike comes with a host of both mechanical and tactical enhancements, and Zero announced that they will include the updated power trains in the production of civilian bikes, too. These machines use the Z-Force motor, capable of producing 54 HP and 68 lb-ft (92 Nm) of torque and come with CHAdeMO quick charging system.
The power packs can be easily replaced in under a minute, while recharging them with the speed charger takes around one hour. Safety override and power reserve features are also standard for the military bikes, and keyless ignition at a flick of a switch makes the MMX operational instantaneously. And since we’re talking military-grade bikes, the MMX can also operate in water 1 meter deep (3 feet).
Here are the key features of the MMX bike, as provided by Zero:
• Specialized military dash for quick and centralized mainline controls
• Keyless ignition engaged with dash toggle for quicker departure
• Modular and quick-swappable power packs
• Wet operational abilities in up to one meter submersion
• Switchable headlight for night-time stealth
• Integrated wiring to accommodate quick installation of front and rear infrared systems
• Safety override and reserve power capabilities to extend range during extreme situations
• Aggressive foot pegs and hand guards for optimal control
• Tie down eyelets with integrated tow cable and rear seat strap.