Throttle Cable Guide All S&S Super E & G Carbs Long Version, Cv Style
Throttle Cable Guide All S&S Super E & G Carbs Long Version, Cv StyleInstallation:
Installation is easy because carburetors are sold in complete kits that contain everything needed to install the carburetor on the specified model motorcycle. All kits include manifolds for engines with stock length cylinders and a comprehensive, step by step installation booklet and tuning guide that takes the rocket science out of installation and tuning.Applications:
As a general rule, we recommend a Super E carburetor for engines up to about 100 cubic inches in displacement. The Super E's smaller 1 7/8 (47.6mm) bore size creates higher air velocity, which results in better low and midrange response and power. Due to the Super G's larger 2 1/16 (52.3mm) bore size, it is recommended for engines of no less than 90 cubic inch displacement. or the vast majority of engines in the 90-100 cubic displacement range, we strongly recommend the Super E because of the improved low and mid-range response. However, if maximum peak horsepower is the most important consideration, a Super G carb would be appropriate.
The S&S Shorty carburetors are easy to tune due to the simple and functional design. The Super E & G's are butterfly style carburetors and only have two fuel circuits, not counting the starting system to accelerator pump. In addition, idle mixture, idle speed, and accelerator pump adjustments are easily accessible when the carburetor is installed on a motorcycle. The adjustable accelerator pump eliminates off idle hesitation and can be adjusted to provide the correct amount of fuel for a wide variety of engine displacements and styles. The accelerator pump is also very useful as a starting aid. To keep the carburetor bore unobstructed, the S&S Shorty carburetors do not use a traditional choke plate for starting enrichment. Instead, a separate adjustable enrichment circuit is used for cold starts, which is also useful as an adjustable fast idle for cold engines.
In addition to the larger bore size, another reason the Shorty carburetors are capable of making more power is the design of the air cleaner. The most important factors are that the large surface area and the composition of the filter element present minimal restriction to the flow of air, and almost as important is the elimination of turbulence at the inlet of the carburetor. The filter area of the Shorty carburetors is maximized by an ingenious backplate design that wraps slightly around the carburetor to allow room for a wider filter element than a straight backplate would allow. The pleated S&S filter element looks like paper, but is actually a special resin impregnated cellulose fiber media that provides excellent filteration as well as superior flow. The shape of the S&S air cleaner backplate and the directional cone inside the air cleaner cover also provides a smooth path for air to follow while traveling into the carburetor inlet. This results in less turbulence and greater air flow.Notes:
- Stock motorcycles 1980 or earlier must be updated to a two cable pull open/pull closed throttle control system. A single cable pull open system cannot pull the throttle closed in case the throttle should accidentally stick in the open position
- S&S Shorty carburetors will not fit Harley-Davidson Sportster Ironhead models with vertical magnetos due to clearance problems between the magneto and the carburetor
- Shovelhead engines with five gallon tanks and cylinders that are taller than stock require a special notched air cleaner cover to clear the gas tank. These taller engines also require a special length manifold
- S&S does not recommend polishing or chrome plating Super E & G carburetors
- Recommended for racing only - S&S Super E & G carburetors shown in this section are not legal for use on motor vehicles operated on public highways in the state of California, or in other states where similar pollution laws may apply. The user shall determine the suitability of the product for his or her use and shall assume all risk and liability in connection there with
Replacement Cable Guide
Long version for use with CV style cables